Word-meanings: Poem Slow motion is now so rare
remarked – to make a comment, express opinion
nimble – quick and light in movement (फुर्तीला )
modest – humble and moderate in opinion or behaviour (संकोची)
at length – in detail
queer – odd, strange and unusual
vastly – very great in size, greatly
arranged – put or organised in some or proper order
folks – the common people (आम जनता)
toil – to work hard, to move with difficulty
stride – long step
distinguished – unique and different from others and are respected for that
motion – movement
Summary: Slow Motion is Now So Rare
A snail asked a tortoise his speed, thinking it was the one from the very popular story where a tortoise beat a hare in a race. The tortoise said that it was its great grandpa who won the race and that too by luck as the hare has slept.
The snail asked if she could try the same race and upset the hare. The tortoise said that the hare would not be able to sleep in the middle of the race anymore because there are much bigger sporting crowds these days. He also said that being faster is not something that the snail should aspire to anymore. In an increasingly fast-paced world, they are more distinguished because of their slow motion.
1. The snail and the tortoise are common in being slow moving creatures on the earth.
2. Things have changed in the same that the crowds at crowds at sporting events have grown steadily larger and nosier. Such noise would awaken the hare.
3. The tortoise is shown composed and satisfied with his life being unique. The snail, on the other hand, is eager to run a race to defeat the hare. She is restless.
4. The tortoise said that they are living in an age of large crowds and their noise would not let the hare sleep. Secondly, he said that they were unique being the slow walkers among the fast movers.
5. The tortoise says so because the time has changed and the things are not so arranged as were during his grandpa’s days.
6. I think ‘slow motion’ refers to the physical movement. It is clear in the poem that the snail and the tortoise were talking about their walking movements as unique among the fast-moving other creatures.