Parts of Speech exercises are given here. Parts of Speech are the classifications of word classes of the words used in a sentence. There are 8 such word classes. Attempt the following exercises and see how much you know the Parts of Speech.
To clear your doubts, feel free to contact us by e-mail or social networks give below.
Parts of Speech Video
Exercise: Parts of Speech
Q.1. Name the parts of speech of the words in colour.
The teacher looked through Reena’s homework and said, “I don’t understand how it is possible for a single person to make so many mistakes.”
“It was not a single person, sir,” said Reena proudly. “My father helped me.”
“Oh!” the teacher exclaimed. “Did he?”
Q.2. Identify the boldfaced parts of speech in the given sentences :
- Sridhar can play the guitar.
- They listen to music every day.
- He is an old man .
- The group went climbing in the mountains .
- This is a fast service.
- He did well in the test .
- My driver drives carefully .
- Has your father ever been to India ?
- The play was fantastic .
- Ouch! This is bitter .
Q.3. Point out the Part of Speech to which each of the italicised words in the following sentences belongs:
- Water the flowers.
- Take some water.
- We saw a water bird.
- Everybody congratulated him when he won a lottery.
- Alas! He has done a very bad thing
- He was tall and of handsome appearance.
- I have some very beautiful pictures with me.
- He was standing before the gate of his house.
- I have never seen such a thing before.
- We want to know the cause of his failure.
- He fell off the roof and broke his hand.
- How can you tell such a lie?
- The train has not come yet.
- What were you doing in the room?
- I know that you were absent yesterday.
Q.4. Tell the part of Speech of the words in colour.
- I never go back on my promises.
- To love our country is our moralobligation.
- Happiness cannot be bought.
- A few leaves came off the tree on the ground.
- It was holiday yesterday.
- A new boy got admission today in our class.
- India is a secular country with freedom to follow any faith and religion.
- Unity in diversity is the strength of our country.
- You can water the plants from the water available in the tank.
- Giving is better than taking.
- We don’t need any excuse to be a good and honest.
- No time is bad for any good work.