Here you will find questions for revision in English for class 10. Chapter 1 – A Letter to God. All the questions are based on the previous Board Exam questions. Do a practice writing your own answers to the questions given. Write answers in short sentences and well punctuated. Now go ahead –
Class 10 English Revision: Chapter – A Letter to God Extra Questions
Questions for Revision
- What were Lencho’s feelings when the hail stopped? (2012, 2019)
- Did the letter reach to god? Why did the postmaster reply to Lencho’s letter? (2019)
- In the ‘A letter to God’ what moral values does the Post Master display in his behaviour? (100-50 words) (Comptt. 2018)
- What was the cause behind the sudden change of mood of Lencho from that of happiness to that of sorrow and despair?
- Why and how did the postmaster help Lencho?
- Why did Lencho write his second letter? (2010)
- Did God really help Lencho?
- Was Lencho justified in calling the post office employees ‘a bunch of crooks’? Give reasons.
Answers to the questions for revision (A Letter to God)
- Lencho was filled with sadness and despair because the hailstorm had destroyed the crops in the field. He was restless at the thought that his family would go Hungary that year.
- Literally, the letter did not reach as God is an abstract idea or belief having no concrete address in wordily connotations. If we see from an angle of faith then it can be contended that the God helped Lencho through men at the post office.
- The Post Master is an exemplary display of human values that rest on men-helping-men selflessly. He shows the values of empathy and compassion even in a comical situation as he had laughed first. He is sensitive to feels the innocence of Lencho. He had good relations with the employees and very efficiently he leads in getting others contribute to keep the faith of Lencho as pure and intact as he could do. It can also be said that he himself had great faith in God and would have thought that doing anything in the name of God to help the needy is the duty of other fellow beings.
- The cause was the hailstorm that destroyed the standing crop in the fields. He was happy at the rains and called the rain drops as ‘new coins’ but the haling changed the atmosphere and now there were lying hails as ‘frozen pearls’ in place of ‘new coins’.
- The Post Master helped Lencho to keep his faith in God intact and also, he could see how innocence Lencho was. To help Lencho he himself contributed a part of his salary and convinced his post office employees to donate some amount. This way, they were able to collect 70 pesos that was 30 pesos short of Lencho’s demand.
- Lencho was angry to see only 70 pesos and thought that the post office employees had stolen the rest of the amount.
- God is an abstract entity in the minds of people with huge literary and oral accounts spread around this abstract entity God. So, to see from the angle of description of God, it can be contended that God helped Lencho in his need through men at post office. If we think logical way then it was help from post office employees and the letter was received by them who could easily throw it away.
- ……answer is left for the readers and visitors …..write in the comment box and the best will be picked as answer to the question No. 8.
Ishwar sharan Shukl (Eistein Public School, Pratapgarh) 18 SEP 2020
Answer (Q.8) Yes , as if we see from lencho’s point of view he was justified in calling the post office employees ‘a bunch of crooks’.
In the world today there are such peoples who take up any other’s commodities without caring that what will that mean to the real owner.And so was lencho’s feeling , when he saw just 70 pesos instead of 100 in the envelope. He was so firm in his believe that according to him god wouldn’t have made such a mistake.